A Second Wave of Artists Announced for MUTEK 2016
Lorenzo Senni, Peder Mannerfelt, Jackson, Aïsha Devi and Lee Gamble Lead the Second Wave of Artist Announcements
05 de abril de 2016
Extended International Reach with SHAPE and MUTEK.MX artists
New Additions for the A/VISIONS, NOCTURNE MUTEK and MÉTROPOLIS Series
Up to Date Program details and Mobile App Available
Montréal, March 30, 2016 — As spring arrives in Montréal, MUTEK announces its second wave of handpicked artists for its 17th edition, held Wednesday, June 1 to Sunday, June 5 indoors and outdoors at the Quartier des spectacles and the Musée d'art contemporain de Montréal (MAC). Inventive new live sets, premiers of immersive audiovisual performances and challenges to artistic, musical and technological boundaries are all unveiled during this year’s festival, from international techno masters to emerging Canadian artists with burgeoning international reputations.
MUTEK today announces another multifarious group of talent to follow the first wave:
AÏSHA DEVI pres. OF MATTER AND SPIRIT (CH) / AND THE END OF EVERYTHING
(MX) / BARAC (RO) / CHIC MINIATURE (CA) / DÉSORMAIS (CA) /
FOUSEK/HANSEN/TELLIER-CRAIG (CA/US) / FRITS WENTINK (NL) / JACKSON pres.
LIGHT METAL MUSIC (FR) / LAURA LUNA (CZ/MX) / LAWRENCE LE DOUX (BE) / LEE
GAMBLE & DAVE GASKARTH pres. FOLDINGS (UK) / LORENZO SENNI (IT) /
MAGNANIME (CA) / MATTHEW BIEDERMAN & PIERCE WARNECKE pres.
PERSPECTION (CUBED) (CA) / MIDNIGH OPERATOR (CA) / NONOTAK pres SHIRO
(FR/JP) / PEDER MANNERFELT (SE) / POLITICAL RITUAL (CA) / QUADR (CA) / SARAH
DAVACHI (CA) / SCANT INTONE & C130 pres. EYE OF THE STORM (CA) / SIETE
CATORCE (MX) / SIMON CHIONI (CA) / SPATIAL (UK) / SUSY TECHNOLOGY (CA) /
T'IEN LAI (PL) / TAZZ & GIOVANNI RANDISI (CA) / WHITE VISITATION (MX)
Get familiar with the artists of our second wave with this sampler mix.
SHAPE x MUTEK
Along with the festival’s established collaborations with Red Bull Music Academy, MUTEK further taps into its global network to present exclusive North American performances in collaboration with the European SHAPE project, supported by the Creative Europe program of the European Union.
Every year, the 16 members of SHAPE (an acronym for Sound, Heterogeneous Art and Performance in Europe) curate an amazing array of artists who represent the forward edge of audiovisual, sound and contemporary electronic music. This programming at MUTEK opens a window directly onto the current European experimental and avant garde electronic scenes, from London to Bucharest. For the very first and only time, no less than 10 must-see artists will come to Montréal via SHAPE's curatorial platform, which includes high-profile, boundary-pushing European festivals like Krakow’s Unsound and Berlin’s CTM.
- • Swedish electronic producer PEDER MANNERFELT, also known as The Subliminal Kid and one half of analog electronics duo Roll the Dice, introduces us to his range of groove-conscious minimal techno, precise cinematic compositions and exploratory sound.
- • Brussels-based Belgian producer Laurent Baudoux, also known as Sun OK Papi K.O. and in Electrosold Collectif (with Mouse on Mars’ Jan St. Werner) comes to MUTEK as LAWRENCE LE DOUX, playing his wobbly deep and tech house styles on Sunday night.
- • Paris-based producer and Warp Records artist JACKSON shows us what his tailor made instruments can do in experimental sound and light performance, Light Metal Music.
- • French-Japanese duo NONOTAK return to the festival with Shiro, a four screen audiovisual performance of experimental techno meshed with interplaying shadow and light.
- • Prague-based Mexican producer, musician and multimedia artist LAURA LUNA experiments in emotive minimalist compositions where lo fi meets high tech electro.
- • Italian producer, musician and composer LORENZO SENNI deconstructs trance into abstract compositional electro and experimental, fractured sound.
- • Polish group T'IEN LAI mixes live percussion, electronics and a chaos of musical styles into a controlled rhythmic entity.
- • While, Swiss-born Nepalese-Indian artist AÏSHA DEVI takes pages from Bangladeshi poetry, physics and bass music to make provocative metaphysical intercultural dance music.
Presented in collaboration with MUTEK.MX with the support of the Québec government. MUTEK also shines a spotlight on Mexican artists who have recently performed at the festival:
- • Prolific and diverse producer SIETE CATORCE incorporates Andean mountain music into his hypnotizing rhythms
- • The Chilango duo of producers Alfredo Ramírez and Alan Aguilar make melodic, cinematic, glitchy ambient as AND THE END OF EVERYTHING.
- • And densely textured underground techno from WHITE VISITATION.
As always, MUTEK’s program accentuates Canadian artists – this second wave announcement includes several undeniable talents among emerging and stablished musicians and producers:
- • Accomplished Canadian musicians and brothers Nathan and Mathew Jonson pair up to make whirring techno as MIDNIGHT OPERATOR.
- • Experimental audiovisual art and interactive cyberculture media collective SUSY TECHNOLOGY.
- • The sideways funk and sample techno of Montréal producer MAGNANIME.
- • New classical and electroacoustic composer and minimal techno producer SIMON CHIOINI.
- • Three Montréal sound experimenters bring their vast collection of sounds and modular infatuations together as FOUSEK / HANSEN / TELLIER-CRAIG
- • Musicians and producers TAZZ AND GIOVANNI RANDISI form a diabolical techno duo
- • Mitchell Akiyama and Tony Boggs’ project DÉSORMAIS, fusing textured melodies and propulsive fractal rhythms
- • Now Montréal-based, Calgary native SARAH DAVACHI, a musicologist and vintage analog synth expert producing psychoacoustic soundscapes
- • The triumphant return of Montréal producer Guillaume Coutu-Dumont and Ernesto Ferreyra as melodic microhouse duo CHIC MINIATURE.
- • Locals POLITICAL RITUAL seek transcendence through live analog modular and digital synthesis, invented wind instruments and traditional balinese percussion
- • The addition of Montréal quartet QUADR create a theatre of modified, bowed and sounded bicycle wheels, whose triggering bathes the performers in audio reactive visuals
NEW ADDITIONS FOR A/VSIONS PROGRAM
- • Montréaler MATTHEW BIEDERMAN & PIERCE WARNECKE turn their piece Perspection (Cubed) into a live, perception-altering 2 screen audiovisual performance.
- • French-Japanese duo NONOTAK surround themselves in transparent screens ensconced in an interplay of shadows, light and experimental techno in new A/V performance Shiro.
- • Vancouver’s SCANT INTONE returns to the festival with visualist C130 to present Eye of the Storm, an immersive audiovisual show that pays homage to cinematic texture, combined with digital feedback loops and spectral delays.
NEW ADDITIONS FOR NOCTURNE AND METROPOLIS PROGRAMS
- • NOCTURNE 1 kick starts the festival with London-based techno master and deconstructor LEE GAMBLE in a mesmerizing collusion with animator, motion designer and graphic designer DAVE GASKARTH.
- • Bucharest-based BARAC shapes his live electronics into a tripped-out synth melodies and strong bass lines at the MÉTROPOLIS 2 night presented by Red Bull Music Academy.
- • And joining the final night crew for NOCTURNE 5 are Amsterdam-based left-field electronic producer FRITS WENTINK and Montréal producers Guillaume Coutu-Dumont and Ernesto Ferreyra onspire as first-rate micro-house duo CHIC MINIATURE.
All NOCTURNE MUTEK events will be presented in the festival’s main room at the MAC and in the downstairs BWR room from Wednesday to Sunday.
UP-TO-DATE PROGRAM AVAILABLE
See the up-to-date program here (many more program details to come -- including daytime and free activities)